Monday, July 16, 2012

Die Hände hooch hebe! (Stick 'em up!)

The bars finally arrived! 

Both sets of bars finally emerged from the bowels of the wifey's mail room.
What? You don't need two handlebars?

I couldn't decide between the Wald 872, which is a traditional cruiser-style bar with a 3 inch rise and out-swept, 24 inch wide grip, or the 867, which sports a 4 inch rise with a 20 inch grip. The bars on the 867 end up mostly parallel, which I wanted, but I was concerned the 20 inch wide grip would feel too narrow. It's actually perfect. Just wide enough to be comfortable; not so wide that my arms are like wings flapping in the wind. The 867 is definitely a more old-school city bike look and feel too.

So I slapped it into the old quill stem and played around with finding the right height. The old stem is much too short for the upright posture I'm after, and I think even the Nitto Technomic might be a little too short. I end up needing about 200mm of rise, with about 100mm of extension. That's considerably more than I had guesstimated. So it's a good thing I hadn't settled on a stem yet. It would have been just one more thing to return.

After a great deal of searching - I looked at the Soma tall stem converter with a modern threadless stem, cheap-o chrome steel stems, VO's various offerings - I finally settled on the Nitto MT-10, a.k.a. Dirt Drop. It should give me the rise and extension I'm looking for.

At $61, it's way over what I planned. But my first try at a cheap stem was too short and too crude. In any event, it's on it's way, so schau ma mal.

UPDATE:  The Nitto stem was on sale - Yea!


No comments:

Post a Comment