Saturday, July 14, 2012

A damp rag and some elbow degreaser

Well, it's the weekend. I have time, but no parts. Boo. What to do... What to do... 


Decals. I could strip off the decals. 


It really won't be a Trek 700 once I'm done. So I dragged the dusty old heap upstairs, pulled over a chair, and had a good look. Too dusty to see much of anything. After about 20 minutes with a damp rag and a wee bit of degreaser, I had a shiny purple bike again. And profoundly concerned looks from my wife. But I digress. 


It's in remarkably good shape. Trek must use tough paint. I've ridden it hard, put it away wet, shipped it 'round the world and generally ignored maintenance. But apart from some scuffs, it's good to go. 


The decals, sadly, were mostly under the clear coat. I did a bit of searching on the interwebs, and it turns out there's really no easy way to get them off if they've been clear-coated. I guess I understand why Trek did it - it keeps the decals from getting all scuffed up - but it diminishes the final product. After some more interwebs poking around, I found a couple of places that would sand blast and reprint the frame. 


Nice to know, but really not going to happen. The dream list of 'mogs is already looking out of reach of my wallet. Na Ja, das leben geht weiter. 


 Not much more to see here folks, time to return to our normal lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment